Forklifts are one of the most common equipment when it comes to material handling. They are heavily used in industrial parks (manufacturing & processing) as well as in warehousing, storage, and transport industries. Whether you're a business owner in these industries or a prospective job seeker in the above fields, forklift operator training has numerous benefits. Below, see what these are and more.
Why forklift training?
As mentioned above, forklifts are very common and are relied upon in many diverse industries. As such, it is crucial to have operators that are well trained and certified to operate these machines. This is compounded by the facts that forklifts are special heavy equipment in that they are different from road vehicles; and that the untrained operation of forklifts can be dangerous to the operator and workers. Forklift accidents can also damage property and cause massive financial losses.
Job opportunities for forklift operators If you are seeking employment, training and obtaining certification to operate a forklift opens you up to lots of opportunities in these areas:
- Warehousing and inventory management
- Loading and offloading (general transport)
- Cargo and shipping
- Installation & deliveries, etc
What the training course entails
Forklift operator training is not as complicated as one might think. The course, which generally lasts 1-3 days, touches on all the key aspects of handling a forklift. That is:
- Safety and industry regulations
- Road safety
- Forklift mechanics
- Starting and stopping
- Steering and handling
- Counterbalance and stability
- Rough terrain handling
- Fuelling and handling batteries (charging or replacing)
- Order picker training
- Narrow aisle reach
- Combination lifting, etc
Who are the ideal candidates for this course?
Forklift operator training is ideal for:
- Unemployed persons.
- Anyone seeking to be a professional forklift operator.
- Anybody working in the industries listed above (manufacturing, processing, etc).
Benefits to business owners If you are a business owner in any of the aforementioned industries, seeking forklift training for your staff has numerous benefits. That is:
- Maintain high industry standards. Each industry mentioned here has set standards on how to handle goods. Use of forklifts can help you to meet those standards.
- Avoid fines imposed on untrained forklift operators. Strict fines apply when OH&S regulations are not met.
- Enjoy better service delivery in your company. Trained forklift operators will work faster and more efficiently compared to untrained operators.
- Avoid work-related accidents and injuries. These will create downtimes, bad publicity, and costly compensation.
When one registers for a forklift operator training course, they will undergo training first. After being trained, both in theory and practise, they will be required to undertake a test in order to receive a certificate/license. Note that this process may differ slightly depending on which state you're in.